So I went to go use my cell phone yesterday just to find out it had been turned off! When I called the phone service they said it was turned off due to “high usage”. I for one did not know they did that. I KNEW immediately it had to be my teenager!What they told me next, I am just surprised I did not pass out. OK, so my son’s phone has 1000 text messages a mo. included in his plan. The lady informed me that he had used more than 2500!!!!!!! So times the remainder by 10 cents and you would get $150.00 ADDITIONALLY and that was just from last billing cycle that had just ended ( I haven’t even gotten the bill for that yet) and since that billing cycle closed and a new one started(just a FEW days ago) he has already gone over the 1000 text!!!!!!! And already has cost me $60 for next months bill!
I do get that what was notes for us is text for this generation.But notes didn’t cost our parents anything, unless you were caught in class with one and had detention and they had to waste their time and gas to come and pick you up later!( I never got caught, but you know what I’m saying) I am just entering new territory here.
I was thinking earlier, when you have toddlers you feel like life is so hard( and it can be) but in ways compared to that of a teen ,toddlerhood, it is so simple.When a little one wants something you merely say no,take it away,they may throw a fit,but it last 5 minutes and out of sight out of mind. With teens not that simple. There is no 5 minute fits the silent treatment can go on for days! The out of sight out of mind thing doesn’t exist ,it’s like they meditate day and night on what is bothering them.
So anyway I took his phone and computer away. My husband thinks I am being to harsh. I am starting to think he is right.I have read books, been to seminars about teens and know that they can be highly sensitive and need their friends. So should I really take those things away? I just know that there are a lot worse things that one can do. And I am sure it wasn't purposely done. I will probably let this be a lesson for the both of us. And for all of you who will read this. Consider yourselves warned if you have yet to enter here!!!!




3 comments:
And we thought that by giving them a phone, we were being generous, what I don't get about teens is that instead of talking on it, they want to type messages on it!!!???? Oh, I checked, and yes, Jacob has begun texting! And without a plan and at .20 a piece (x50), I'll see when I get my bill! Thanks for the heads up!!
I know my sister had a similar problem with her son. When that happened, (it was more of the connecting to the internet on the phone and shopping for ringtones and such), he had to take responsibility for his actions and "work" to pay it off. He didn't realize that it cost money to do that. He also texts, but is now more aware of how much he has used and how much he has left, as they all share a rate plan too. I understand taking the phone (not really the computer, as that doesn't cost extra). Until you figure something out, I would suggest keeping the phone. That will eliminate any MORE charges like that. I'm so sorry!
hey rachel. just popping over to say hi. i miss seeing you around, but i'm glad you're blogging! it's a good way to keep up.
yikes!! on the texting thing. our almost teen wants a phone, but since i homeschool and he is with an adult 24/7 who probably owns a phone, to this point we've just said no. he IM's some friends but that's it. but i know our time's coming.
what if your son had to pay for it? you know...that whole "reality/consequence" parenting thing. instead of punishment, they earn the natural consequence of their mistake. just a thought. i think consequences are sometimes more painful than restriction since it's coming out of their wallet. : )
Post a Comment